April 2, 4, 20,22, and 30. All times are 7:30- 8:30 p.m. Classes are held at the Montenegro School of TaeKwon Do, 5184 1/2 Winnemucca Blvd. (Behind Computer Tamer and next to BLM offices). While the classes are each month, the techniques are easy enough for anyone to pick up from one session. A review is given at each class to enable full benefit for anyone who wants to learn these powerful self-defense menthods.
Each class involves critical discussions covering the most important awareness principles and safety strategies. Even if you are already well-versed in safety strategies and are well aware of your surroundings, these lessons will reinforce your safety consciousness and heighten your awareness in many settings. We recommend you bring a partner (friend, sister, daughter, etc) if possible to practice techniques with.
Offered monthly to all women ages 18 and over (if younger, parental permission is required), these classes are exceptional and lessons include:
4 phases of a typical sexual assault by stranger, the “Triangle of Victimization”: Undercover Assailants: non-strangers conduct a shocking 78% of all sexual assaults! Between the ages of 16-24, 1 in 4 women experience some form of sexual violence. In college, most attacks occur during freshman and sophomore years.
This course has an emphasis on what you can do to ensure you never allow a predator to catch you off-guard. Making responsible choices and defending personal boundaries is part of total empowerment.
This course includes 11 intense sections:
1. Awareness and Intuition: Knowing your surroundings, trusting your gut in situations, exit strategies, confidence, and how to be a bad victim. Safety in a variety of different situations such as using the buddy-system, cell phones, bystander intervention.
2. Combat Base: How to physically establish a rock-solid base so the attacker can neither push nor pull you against your will.
3. Wrist Release: A man will grab a woman by the wrists to detain, neutralize, or demean her. In this lesson, learn wrist releases guaranteed to free you from any wrist grab, regardless of the attackers strength.
4. Trap and Roll Escape: Being trapped beneath a sexual predator is a nightmarish experience potentially leading to panic, suffocation, exhaustion, and eventual submission. In this lesson, you will be taught two highly effective escapes from this frightening position.
5. Front Choke Defenses: Assailants often attempt to strangle their victims during a sexual assault. In this lesson, we teach how to apply leverage to escape the two most commonly used front choke holds.
6. Super Slap: Striking a large assailant with punches has limited effectiveness and may cause you to break your hand. In this lesson, we teach how to use a Super Slap to disrupt the attack and facilitate your escape.
7. Guard Get-Up: Most important physical technique in this course! Ultimate goal for most sexual predators is to get inside victim’s legs. Should you find yourself in this situation, the Guard Get-Up will enable you to remain calm, stay safe, and escape at the right time.
8. Stop-Block Frame: Sexual predators often test their victims’ spatial boundaries. In this lesson, we teach how to use verbal assertiveness to establish your personal space and what to do if the attacker crosses the boundary and physically assaults you.
9. Trap and Roll Extras: This includes more variations from the #3 lesson. Includes what to do if a man achieves the most terrifying position: mounted on top of you while pinning both your wrists to the ground.
10. Guard Get-Up Extras: Greatest challenge when trapped beneath an attacker is to avoid panic and exhaustion. Additional variations are taught to ensure your survival against an attacker trying to punch, pin, or choke you.
11. Hair Grab Defense: An assailant will often attempt to control his target by grabbing hair. In this lesson, learn to defend against the most common hair grabs whether standing or on the ground.
12. Guillotine Choke: Whether your attacker lowers his head to subdue you, he unknowingly creates a perfect opportunity for you to protect yourself.
13. Elbow Escape: An emergency alternative to the Trap and Roll Escape.
14. Rear Attack Defenses: A surprise attack from behind is one of the most challenging attacks to overcome. In this lesson, we teach how to escape when someone attempts to choke you or bear hug you from behind.
15. Weapon Defense: Some assailants will use a weapon to intimidate and control their victims. In this lesson we use the weapon to address the psychological aspects of dealing with an armed assailant, as well as methods to use when your life is on the line and you MUST act.
If anyone is interested in taking a class but is not comfortable with any of the lessons, it’s acceptable to sit out and observe. No one will be asked to participate in anything they are uncomfortable with. If any special accommodations are needed, please contact us and we’ll make arrangements ahead of time.
Patience, timing, and leverage can overcome any of life’s adversities, regardless of their nature. Remember: Anyone can be a victim, regardless of where you live, education, age gender, physical attributes, socioeconomic status, etc. Everyone can learn to protect themselves!
Space is limited, contact us to reserve your and/or your youths spot! For a full description of each class, please visit www.humboldava.com . To reserve your spot or contact us with any questions, please call 304-7007 or 304-5997. Or email us a email@example.com
All classes are FREE, but donations are always accepted and appreciated. AVA is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity (EIN 26-3966611), any donations made are tax-exempt and a receipt will be provided.